Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Anybody near Atlanta?

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Anybody near Atlanta?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    There are at least 3, I think there are 4, large format Altecs on Community BRH 90 horns in this deal. Will likely go cheap. i'm 800 miles away or I'd be all over it.

    Sellers don't know what they have. Likely 291 drivers.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Mixed-Mfg-Model-...QQcmdZViewItem

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So what kind of fiberglass horns do you think these are, and are they any good for short throw use (home)?

    I suppose you only want the Altec 291 and JBL drivers.

    Richard C.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    I sure could go for a pair of the 291s...

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    FWIW, I've gotten a couple very good deals from those folks myself. They usually have great deals on all types of equipment racks and larger cases.

    Actually a few years back while shopping for a buddy i got a bunch of smaller JBL SR cabs in fitted padded flite cases for less than the empty cases should have cost.

  5. #5
    Hostboard Member kayvee6@comcast.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 8th, 2004
    Posts
    31
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks alot Old Guy for the lashings I shall receive from my wife (should I prevail). **** , I couldn't resist.........

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Anybody near Atlanta?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Richard C.:
    So what kind of fiberglass horns do you think these are, and are they any good for short throw use (home)?

    I suppose you only want the Altec 291 and JBL drivers.

    Richard C.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The horms the Altecs are on are Community BRH 90 circa 1977 or so. 40x90 350 hz flare rate. Closest Aliec horn would be 311-90 but these have to cross a little higher, They could be used quite successfully at home, lots of 311's hve been. Really all I would have wanted would have been those 4.

    Figured if I couldn't use it to alert the folks here.

    The 291 rolls off in the highs, swapping diaphragms converts them to 288's.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, I think the bidding has begun - and 3 days to go!!! I sure wish there was more info about the condition of these drivers, but...

    It would be nice if you could just bid on the 291's!

    This could be real pot luck, and very expensive at that. I could easily pick them up in person, but I just feel they will go way out of my price range.

    Richard C.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I took a chance and won them, and $183 isn't bad for all that.

    I hope to pick it all up next week, and then I can check diaphragms to see how good I did. I will let you guys know then, and I might do a little "horse trading" with someone on a pair of 291's.

    I think I might like to keep one pair of the 291's for myself. I hope I won't have to send these away to Bill for magnet recharging, but...

    Richard C.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Anybody near Atlanta?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    You got a hechuva deal, even if you need 4 frams.

    you can polly recover what you spent from the JBL's.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I got everything home, and I am pleased! The JBL 2420 drivers are in very nice shape, with 7.2 ohms on one and 8.1 ohms on the other. I haven't opened them up yet, but I will clean them up before I try them out. The Altec 291's are in poor shape. Dirt and corrosion in the throat looks bad, and I wish I could clean the screens - at least I think those are screens down by the phase plug. The largest horns are Community but I can't see any model number. No serious cracks or pieces missing, so they were all removed and shipped with care. More later after I open them all up!

    Richard C.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.